Bulgarian Eggplant and Pepper Spread (Kiopoolu)
- 1 1/2 lbs. eggplant
- 2 medium sized red or green peppers, roasted, peeled and de-ribbed
- 1 medium sized firm ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- freshly ground black paper to fast
- Drop the tomato into boiling water for 15 seconds, then peel off the skin. Cut out the stems and cut the tomato in half crosswise. Squeeze the halves to remove the juice and seeds, then coarsely chop the pulp.
- Roast the eggplant whole. Prick it in 3 or 4 places, place it on a baking sheet, and broil it 4 inches from the heat for about 20 minutes, turning it so that it chars on all sides. Wrap the eggplant in a damp towel for 5 minutes then peel off and discard the skin. Cut the eggplant in half, chop it fine, and mash the pulp to a smooth puree.
- Mash the skinned and de-ribbed green pepper.
- Combine the eggplant and pepper puree in a deep bowl. Stir in the oil and vinegar a tablespoon at a time, then beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the chopped tomato, parsley, garlic, salt and a liberal grinding of pepper, and continue to beat until all the ingredients are well mixed. Taste for seasoning and refrigerate until chilled. Serve mounded on a platter as a first course or spread on dark bread as an accompaniment to drinks.