From Eating with Edie
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas, drained, or 1/3 cup dry, soaked overnight then cooked for 1 1/4 hours with baking soda – patted dry (If from dry, you may want to make extra because these make great snacks too!)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Course or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 pounds small eggplants
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2/3 cup thick plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- water as needed
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and toss the chickpeas with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ground cumin. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast them on the top rack for 30 to 40 minutes, shaking it every now and then until they are browned and crisp.
- Brush a large baking sheet with a generous tablespoon of oil. Halve the eggplants lengthwise, arrange them, cut side up, in one layer on oiled sheet. Brush the cut sides lightly with a little additional oil, and sprinkle them generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes and then flip them over and roast them for another 15 minutes.
- Whisk together tahini, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and salt. If the is very thick, add water as needed, until the mixture is smooth but thick.
- Arrange the eggplant cut side up and dollop generously with yogurt-tahini sauce. Sprinkle with crisped chickpeas and parsley. Eat immediately.