Preparation 30 minutes
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
- single pie crust of your choice
- 2 small celeriac, cubed
- 4 small leeks, sliced using as much of the green as possible
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 t each chopped fresh thyme and sage
- 2 T Basil pesto (or any saucy thing)
- 2 T caper in brine, drained
- 4 oz gruyere or cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Roll out the pie crust into a greased & floured pie dish. Pre-bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
- Cook the celeriac in boiling water until just tender, about 10-15 minutes. Drain and immediately refresh under cold water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add leeks until almost softened. Add garlic and herbs and fry gently another 3-5 minutes, or until softened and lightly golden. Add the celeriac to the leek mixture.
- Spread the pesto (or whatever sauce you use) on the pre-baked pastry base, then top with the celeriac and leek mixture.
- Scatter over the grated cheese and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake the tart in oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden. Serve at once with a tomato, basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar salad.