This hot soup from Kripalu’s Cookbook makes a wonderful summer soup on these cooler nights – it would also make a wonderful soup in the fall and it so good for you! It only takes about 30 minutes to make.
Serves 6 based on Kripalu [I get 8 servings]
- 1 T. Butter
- 1 c. chopped onions
- 3 c. coarsely chopped cauliflower, reserving 1 c. of the small florets from 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 1/2 c. cubed potatoes
- 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 T. salt
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 t. dried dill or 1 t. chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 t. ground mustard
- 1/8 t. white pepper
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onions for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the chopped cauliflower (minus the 1 c. small florets), potatoes, water, and salt and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat. Puree the mixture with the milk until smooth and creamy.
- Place the pot back on the burner. Add the cheese. Stir in the spices. Add the cauliflower florets and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the florets are tender. Serve immediately.