Adapted from Epicurious
yield: Makes 4 first-course servings
time to make the roasted red peppers (can be made ahead): 40 minutes
time to make the soup: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup sliced shallots (about 4)
- 3-4 large red peppers, roasted, peeled, sliced into strips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups of your own stock, vegetable, chicken, or pork
- 1/4-1/2 cup orange juice
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds and stem with a spoon. Place open side down on a broiler pan and place under the broiler for approximately 20-30 minutes, until blackened. Remove, let cool then peel. Slice into strips.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and saute 5 minutes. Add red peppers with any liquid from roasting. Stir in sugar; saute. 2 minutes. Add 1 cup broth to and simmer 5 minutes. Cool soup slightly. Using an immersion blender or a food processor, puree soup. Bring to simmer; stir in orange juice to taste. Thin soup with additional broth, if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Add cayenne pepper if desired.
- Whisk yogurt and orange peel in small bowl until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle orange cream over. Sprinkle with basil and serve.