Recipe used by Elin Agustsson at Busy Bee Baker – originally from Bon Apetite!
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 t. Kosher salt
- 1/4 c. pecans, toasted and chopped
- 3 T. chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 T. cornmeal
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. Kosher salt
- 3/4 c. + 3 T. sugar
- 6 T. or 3/4 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- 2 c. fresh blueberries (10 oz.)
- 1 T. Panko or bread crumbs
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Work in butter until it’s makes small crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8x8x2 inch baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Dry ingredients: Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Wet ingredients: Beat 3/4 c. sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time until pale and fluffy.
- Finishing the batter: Add 1/3 dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then 1/2 of the buttermilk, then 1/3 dry ingredients, then the other 1/2 of the buttermilk, then the final 1/3 dry ingredients. Beat until smooth.
- Assemble the cake: Pour half of the batter into the baking pan, smooth the top. Mix the remaining 3 T. of sugar with the cinnamon, sprinkle over the 1st layer of batter. Pour in the remaining half of the batter and smooth the top. Toss the blueberries with the Panko or breadcrumbs and place evenly over the top of the batter. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the blueberry mixture.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes.