From The Roasted Vegetable by Andrea Chesman p. 15
This recipe is so easy and a nice side dish just to have around when beets are in season.
- 4 – 6 medium-size beets (about 1 1/2 pounds) tops and roots trimmed to 1 inch
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Wash the beets, but do not peel. Place in a dutch oven (ie, Le Creuset pan works great) cover and roast for about 1 1/4 hours or until tender (when you can pierce with a fork)
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, water, sugar, ginger, garlic, and salt in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan. Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, until syrupy. Pour into a large bowl and let cool.
- After the beets are cool, remove the peels; they will slip off.
- Cut beets into wedges or whatever shape you wish. Cover with the syrup and season with pepper to taste. Cover and marinate overnight.